Current street prices for US Internet Transit

Patrick W Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Aug 16 19:51:22 UTC 2004

On Aug 16, 2004, at 3:15 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:
>
>> What do you care which routers they use?  I've seen networks buy the
>> most expensive routers and run a crappy network, and I've seen people
>> run stable networks on the cheap.
>> I just want my bits to flow quickly and reliably.  I don't really care
>> if you do it on Juniper, Force10, cisco, or tin-cans-and-string.
>
> Well, with the GSR (and alike) you're paying for high MTBF, large
> buffers
> and quick re-routing when something happens, so yes, this is a quality
> issue and that's why you should care and make an informed decision.

I submit that the equipment in the network is far, far less important
than the people running the equipment.  I repeat: "I've seen networks
buy the most expensive routers and run a crappy network, and I've seen
people run stable networks on the cheap."

I do not care what equipment the network uses, as long as my packets
get to their destination reliably and quickly.  This may or may not
place restrictions on the equipment to be used (can you get my packets
there "reliably and quickly" on tin-cans-and-string?), and it almost
certainly places restrictions on who runs that equipment, but those are
the provider's problem, not mine.

--
TTFN,
patrick