Verisign vs. ICANN

Andre Oppermann nanog-list at nrg4u.com
Mon Aug 16 19:08:50 UTC 2004

Paul Vixie wrote:

> also, to me, as a domain holder under .com who uses my domain for more than
> just a web site, i can't tolerate the lack of RCODE=3 when a "nearby" name
> is used by mistake.  verisign promised not to use the connections for anything
> nefarious, but they are not a public-benefit corporation and if they thought
> that the best way to return value to their shareholders was to keyword-search
> e-mail that was sent to them by mistake, then they would be stupid NOT to do
> so.  (this has been called a strong argument for all TLD registries to be
> required to be public-benefit corporations... foxes guarding chicken houses,
> and so on.)

Just image if Versign one day would find out that they can implement some sort
of "ad-word" or "adsense" program where it will redirect you directly, or with
a ten second delay, to the site of the highest bidder for the closest matching
keyword.

Type "example.com" which does not exist and get redirected to "evilempire.com"
who bought the keyword "example".  Great, isn't it?

PS: I will patent it myself to prevent Versign from doing this.

--
Andre