WashingtonPost computer security stories

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Aug 15 17:17:56 UTC 2004

Well, then bad hardware and application software are a lot more prevalant
under Windows than Linux.  I install/deinstall games and other application
software all the time under Linux.  I have the usage pattern you describe
for others (except the part about patching my system regularly), and I just
don't have any difficulty keeping the system up for months at a time,
not having to reinstall the OS until I choose to upgrade major versions,
and, generally, it just keeps on ticking.

Admittedly, it's even better under MacOS with Apple hardware, but, given
the extent to which Linux is more reliable than Windows in the same usage
pattern as you described, I find it hard to blame the hardware.

Windows is a poorly designed operating system, which, although they have
plugged lots of holes, is constantly discovering new ones.  Worse yet,
Micr0$0ft has always chosen a "functionality at any cost" approach to
their software, so, if they want to implement a feature and it can't
be done securely, they implement rather than scale back.  Yes, their
current default settings are more secure than ever before, but, they're
still pretty leaky.

Owen

--On Sunday, August 15, 2004 7:00 PM +0200 Mikael Abrahamsson