WashingtonPost computer security stories

Hank Nussbacher hank at mail.iucc.ac.il
Sun Aug 15 16:05:32 UTC 2004

Oh how I agree!  I have 3 computers at home and have lived through
rebuilding 2 of them multiple times due to everything stated.  My personal
computer has never had to be rebuilt because I run with ZApro and CA AV,
but I came near to it when I took down ZApro for 15 minutes to run a
Retina scan on something and some virus/worm got in and it took some
registry editting and safe mode work to get it removed - and I know what I
am doing.

But my son's computer is now DOA and I refuse to take the 8-12 hours to
rebuild it from scratch - again for the 3rd time.  He knows to run with
ZApro and CA AV but he loads up everything and runs all these P2P programs
and online games and downloads and it would appear that W2K with all MS
patches installed - even tweaked and hardened with a personal firewall and
an uptodate AV are no match for a 15 year to ruin it.

I put the blame not on the AV vendors but strictly on MS for building a
sieve.

-Hank