isn't "...isn't perfect, but it's something now"

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Fri Aug 13 00:15:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 16:59, Ted Hardie wrote:
> At 3:32 PM -0700 8/12/04, Douglas Otis wrote:
> >
> >There is a proposal that should interest you.  It is called Bounce Tag
> >Address Validation By Dave Crocker.
> >
> >http://www.brandenburg.com/specifications/draft-crocker-marid-batv-00-06dc.html
> >
> >This proposal is now in the IETF MASS WG.
>
> There was a BoF called MASS held at the recent IETF meetings in San Diego;
> it has not yet been approved as a working group and no charter has been
> reviewed by the IESG.  While I believe the work on BATV is interesting,
> I am not sure gating it on the approval of MASS is a good idea.  One of
> BATV's advantages is that there are ways to use it which are workable
> within a single domain's administrative control.  These do not eliminate
> a domain's need to do some handling of bounces, but they can avoid those
> bounces ending up in individuals' mailboxes.  Reading the drafts, commenting
> to the authors, and trying out those elements of the system need not
> wait for action on the WG.

You are right, in that I anticipate the approval of the MASS charter.
The BoF did introduce the BATV as a potential work element. MASS and
BATV received a fair amount of attention, as it does address an annoying
problem.  From my perspective, as the BoF had to move to a large room to
accommodate those in attendance, if this group does not obtain approval
I would be surprised.  I could be wrong.

-Doug