BGP-based blackholing/hijacking patented in Australia?

Barry Raveendran Greene bgreene at cisco.com
Thu Aug 12 14:12:35 UTC 2004

Just to set the history straight - so it is on the record. RTBH -
Remote Triggered Black Hole filtering reemerged as a key security
reaction tool when two things happened:

1. When Chris Morrow and Brian Gemberling shared their Backscatter
Traceback technique with the world.
http://www.secsup.org/Tracking/

2. When we - Cisco - created uRPF Loose Check to allow for source
based RTBH
(see attached for lots of my links)

My first use of RTBH - what Pipe is saying they invented - was back
in 1991 to stop an attack on a network I was operating. It was a
technique taught to me from someone at JVNCnet. I'm not sure who that
person was - but Steve Johnson - who worked at JVNCnet at that time
and was later my boss confirmed that they were using RTBH every now
and then.

Also note that at least one of the anti-SPAM solutions have used RTBH
for years. MAPS (http://www.mail-abuse.com/) started in 1996.

So it really surprises me that "Pipe has applied for a patent."