XO Mail engineers?

David Schairer nanog at fluffysheep.com
Thu Aug 5 08:59:26 UTC 2004

Drew,

Here's the straight scoop:

The "New XO SMTP servers" are new in the sense that they go back to a
1997 platform rather than a 1993 platform that smtp.concentric.net
derives from.  They're both from the Concentric* part of XO, and both
come out of my team, for what it's worth.

What we've been doing is consolidating some of the extremely old
systems onto the newer platforms, where we've been focusing our
development cycles for some time.  'smtp.concentric.net' isn't ceasing
to exist, but it's now (or rather, extremely soon) will be on the
up-to-date systems.

That said, we're not forcing people to host mail with us in order to
use us for outbound relay.  The one restriction that will be imposed by
the new smtp.concentric.net that the old one didn't do was to require
the sender domain to exist on-platform rather than to allow completely
unchecked relay by domain.  Domain hosting is bundled with all our DSL
and other network access products, so for the vast majority of people,
this is no problem, because we don't need to be authoritative, or have
MX pointed to us, for this to work.  The one situation where people are
impaired is if they want to send mail via a domain name of some other
ISP (e.g. aol.com), in which case they should use the relays provided
by their other ISP (we don't block outbound port 25 across the board),
or if a customer is running a mail server/mailing list/etc of their
own, where said server might send out mail from any domain, in which
case that server should be doing its own MX routing and not relying on
a relay.

Most of our DSL and other access customers that use an XO-provided
relay are already on the newer platform and have been for a long time,
and only a few remain with configurations still pointing at the older
legacy systems.  So the actual impact here is quite small.

You may now all commence flaming this, and me :)

--David Schairer
VP/Chief Systems Architect
XO Communications, Inc.

* We have recently relaunched the Concentric brand for our email and
hosting products -- www.concentric.com -- for those of you who remember
it from the 'before time' :)  I have a few discount codes left for
email/hosting accounts -- send me an email if interested.