XO Mail engineers?

David A.Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Wed Aug 4 21:46:02 UTC 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 12:23 PM, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> This BCP seems to be changing.  The new BCP which seems to be evolving
> requires customers to authenticate to their home mail server on the MSA
> port and send mail that way.  This appears to be being driven by
> SPF/Sender-ID-like mechanisms.

And at some point in the not-so-distant future {net|sys}ops will look
up from their terminals, blink their eyes a few times and realize that
they have just spent the last $x months jumping through a terrible
number of hoops to support this SPF/SRS thing because "everyone is
doing it."  And they will realize that all that time/effort/money has
still required users to change the way they do things and that
operators had to waste time implementing a half-solution (or less) when
(this may be unspeakable) in a similar amount of time/effort/money a
real (drastic) solution could have been implemented.

I don't think SPF is worthless [1] but it isn't a drop-in solution and
the impact on infrastructure will be significant if it becomes widely
adopted.
I think people will realize that if we're remodeling the boat that much
we should have at least made sure we were fixing something in the
process...

-david

1: SRS may just be a boondoggle, we'll see.