Quick question.

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Aug 4 07:36:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004, Alexei Roudnev wrote:

> I said - it WORKS. 1 spin - warning - someone opens system and kills a run
> away process... Never saw 2 spins (because first one was killed before
> second one). Btw, such systems (2 CPU) are even more stable in case of run
> away device drivers.

I call crapola. Modern _modern_ systems may have _some_ of the device drivers
running on seperate CPUs but they're still running in kernel mode.

A runaway device driver means you're toast.

Now, a very very busy device, thats a seperate story. Having one CPU
handle all of your disk/network IO and the second CPU handle all of your
processes may alleviate some of the pain. May. There's more to it than
just offloading stuff. If your processes are all _depending_ on IO to
occur then you may end up with random crappy starvation situations.

This has nothing to do with NANOG. Lets talk about DCEF bugs or something.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			I'm only a fanboy if
<adrian at creative.net.au>	    I emailed Wesley Crusher.