sms messaging without a net?

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Aug 3 21:16:46 UTC 2004

Likewise, you can just give your monitoring machine a dialup or DSL
connection into someone else's network. It logs in, and sends through
their mail server.

Very few times will you run into such a large problem that your dial-up
provider and your own network both can't reach your cell/paging
provider. That scenario used to happen a lot more in the past than it
has in the last 4 years in my experience.

I also remember when the satellite that provided most of NA's satellite
paging had issues and nobody was getting pages unless they had a local
pager number backup.

Plan for the level of paranoia you want. If you use a national dialup
provider, you can always give your monitoring machine a few dialups all
over the country to try and connect through -- to avoid local problems.

Deepak Jain
AiNET