sms messaging without a net?

Patrick Muldoon doon at inoc.net
Tue Aug 3 15:58:24 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 05:17 am, Dan Hollis wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to send SMS messages without an internet
> connection?
>
> Having a network monitoring system send sms pages via email very quickly
> runs into chicken-egg scenario. How do you email a page to let the admins
> know their net has gone down. :-P
>
> AT&T shut down their TAP dialup late last year.
>
> The only method that comes to mind is to buy a GSM modem which has SMS
> messaging capability.
>
> Has anyone done this?
>
> -Dan

We use SNPP directly to our Nextel phones.  AFAIK nextel has an SNPP dialup at
NPA-NXX-NOTE where the NPA-NXX is the same as your phone number.  We have
nagios due this via qpage, works like a charm.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

"It said, ""Insert disk #3,"" but only two will fit!"