problems with covad.net 192.168 address space

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Mon Aug 2 23:23:09 UTC 2004

> From owner-nanog at merit.edu  Mon Aug  2 17:30:06 2004
> Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:25:00 -0400
> From: Eric Kimminau <ekimminau at rainfinity.com>
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: problems with covad.net 192.168 address space
>

> Hola!
>
> Anyone having problems with covad.net and 192.168 public broadcasts?

Covad uses some RFC-1918 space internally, for routers, etc.  Nothing
unusual there.

They are known to use the low part of the 172.16.0.0/12 space for the
PPP links betwen CPE and DSLAM,  and the high part of the same space
for the 'upstream gateway'.

They use 192.168.0.0/16 for internal routing.

They do not use 'Net 10' _at_all_.

A traceroute from my home network goes from my dsl modem/router to a
172.31.x.x address; then through two 192.168.x.x addresses, And then
to the public internet.

Covad does NOT filter *any* RFC-1918 _source_address_ packets from going
_to_ their customers.

I've had some lengthy discussions with their abuse desk about this, when
my firewall has blocked/logged hostile *incoming* packets with RFC-1918
source addresses.

For "some strange reason" they can't tell, _or_track_, where those packets
are coming from.

I'm told they _do_ have RFC-1918 ingress and egress filtering for both source
and destination addresses, at their gateways to the _external_ internet. That
-that- filtering means that the stuff that shows up 'at _my_ front door' *is*
coming from another COVAD customer, and not from "somewhere _outside_ Covad's
network".