Quick question.

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sun Aug 1 06:10:09 UTC 2004

> Alexei Roudnev wrote:
> (but we still like old and cheap 2x1Ggz servers,
> able to do 99% of all tasks).

Barely worth it anymore, these days you can find an Intel Server Chassis
SR2300 and Intel Server Board SE7501WV2 (SCSI) for $1,500; it's a 2U
dual-Xeon dual-channel DDR with 6 hot-swap scsi bays. I have to say that
I get impatient when I work on anything that does not have dual-channel
DDR; it does not take much time to get used to it :-(

> PS. I like E-bay; last example - our collegues spend a long
> negotiations and settle price for Cisco switches with a good
> discount; 10 seconds e-bay search revealed exactly the same
> systems in original boxes (unopened) 10% cheaper -:)

Hear, hear. And since it's new, no re-licensing issues.

Hardware costs nothing these days:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73321&item=571185
5935&rd=1
Maybe that's what I'll ask Santa this year: a BFR^H^H^H GSR to replace
my home router.

<shameless plug>
Looking for someone to provide an OC-12 to my home for $100/mo so I can
test the router mentioned above. Oh, I also need this, don't I?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=162&item=51126654
63&rd=1
</shameless plug>

Michel.