Quick question.

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sun Aug 1 04:03:18 UTC 2004

--On Saturday, July 31, 2004 20:51 -0700 Michel Py
<michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

> For PCs I install dual Xeons on every production machine for example,
> even though the CPU power needed for some is a 486; Intel processors do
> die like anything else; a processor dying will typically lead to a
> system crash, but it does reboot in single-processor mode when the
> graveyard dude pushes the reset button. I also try do have RAID-10
> arrays span over two raid cards; same as CPUs, a RAID card that dies
> will likely crash the system but it will reboot in degraded mode.

Eh really?  Whenever I've lost a second CPU (primary or secondary) the
machine was a brick until the secondary CPU was gutted and for Piii slotted
systems a terminator board was installed in the secondary slot.

What motherboard(s) you using that are holding up to failures like this?

My experience has shown PSU and motherboard failures are faaaaar more
common than CPUs.

--
Undocumented Features quote of the moment...
"It's not the one bullet with your name on it that you