Postfix errors from some new worm??

Scott Call scall at devolution.com
Fri Apr 30 00:55:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Nicole wrote:

>  Seems like its trying to show web data.. and it ignores errors.
>  I am seeing a bit of these. Nothing googelable for SHWAN-PROXY =[
>
>  Some broken script or worm?

It's most likely an HTTP proxy connection abuse.

Since CONNECT proxies are drying up, people are using open HTTP proxies
to try to send mail.

Basically they send a POST to the proxy that causes it to connect to your
server, and make an HTTP request that contains SMTP commands, so after the
HTTP commands it would have a line like:

value=\r\nHELO sdfads\r\nMAIL FROM:<Ima at spammer.com>\r\nRCPT
TO:<sucker at spammed.com>\r\nDATA\r\nSee my website\r\n\.

which if your mail server ignores the errors caused by the HTTP header
will cause an SMTP session to be triggered.

I'm not sure if postfix has it, but setting a max number of errors per
session, or making sure the SMTP lock-step is followed can really help
stop these.

-S

--
Scott Call	Router Geek, ATGi, home of $6.95 Prime Rib
I make the world a better place, I boycott Wal-Mart