Lazy network operators - NOT

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Wed Apr 28 17:41:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> It would be important to make this a list of legitimate SMTP hosts
> only, and NOT a list of non-spammers, as the former can be determined
> through technical means (1) and the latter is open to endless debate.
> (As we can see with pretty much all existing blacklists.)

However, spamtrap-driven blocklists can use such a list
to be less aggressive in listing said SMTP hosts. In fact,
I've been planning to create such a list myself, in order
to reduce the false positive rate of the PSBL.

Guess I'll have to let NANOG know when it's up and running.

I am planning to use some of the DSBL server side software
to implement such a "white"list here, with the extra that
admins can specify the preferred abuse address for the IP
addresses they add to the list.

3 years ago, I'd have never thought that mail servers
would be a minority of the SMTP senders out there, but
here we are ...

Rik