L2TPv3 encaps performance

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Wed Apr 28 15:05:22 UTC 2004

Someone asked me the other day if I could recommend some L2TPv3 tunnel
termination devices which might be capable of encaps/de-encaps of
traffic which bursts near to 1Gbit/s (e.g. with GE uplinks to a
core/transport network, and GE interfaces for hand-off towards the
subscriber). Application is providing transparent/pseudowire wide-area
ethernet transport service over a routed-IP but non-LDP-capable core.

This didn't sound like a particularly hard question, but I couldn't
find any performance numbers on L2TPv3 edge boxes anywhere. What boxes
exist that can do this stuff at gig speeds?

Replies off-list would be fine, I can summarise if there's interest.