Cisco Router best for full BGP on a sub 5K bidget 7500 7200 or other vendor ?

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Apr 26 19:17:31 UTC 2004

Just be sure you have the VIP's that can handle any features you
need or you plan to run with dCEF off and let
the RSP do the work.  And that's true as long
as you are not running features on that platform
that require dCEF.

That's the most common deployment mistake I
see made with the 75xx nowadays.  People want
to move to dCEF to get added feature capability
or either run a new feature that requires dCEF and they
don't consider the extra load on the VIP CPU's that
is required.

There is no hardware assisted forwaring on a 75xx
so it's pure software and CPU speed to do features.

Rodney