Hardware for full mesh bgp

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Apr 26 02:16:03 UTC 2004

yes, one can use freebsd as a router.  and i think it's
kick-ass that md5 tcp is being worked to freebsd's normal
level of support.  thank you!

but we need to not lose sight that the flavors of isps is a
bi-modal distribution; it's the labor/capex trade-off.

in my daytime-job network, hi-touch is just not a scalable
option, it's five nines and hands off.  and i have to say that
different commercial router vendors vary in quality and
reliability.  i rofl over the discussion here of using antique
cisco 750Xes.

in my personal research rack, it's a high-touch hodge-podge,
commercial routers, freebsd routers, and small routing toys
<http://wildlab.com/>.  and this weekend i spent six++ hours
cleaning up a mess due to the colo provider being too cheap to
get both a/b power from the carrier hotel, so the one circuit
made a mess.

even in the developing economies, where labor is even cheaper
than here in george's economic disaster, folk trying to build
and maintain real commercial isps use real commercial routers.
and yes, they cost too <bleeping> much, are too large, take
too much power, and blow more heat than a vendor engineer
blows smoke.

randy