Juniper failes to change keys (More MD5 fun: Cisco uses wrong MD5key for old session after key change)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat Apr 24 21:32:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> But as long as the session *is* reset anyway, the current situation is
> extremely confusing - the log messages (on both Cisco and Juniper) give
> no indication that the invalid key in question is for an *old* BGP
> session, no longer active!

That's why I hope Juniper will fix their implementation not to reset
the session and to stop using an old key.  Once the key is changed, all
new packets (including new packets for old sessions) should use the new
key, not the old key.

You think the bug is on Cisco's side, I think the bug is on Juniper's
side.  Hence interoperability.