Winstar says there is no TCP/BGP vulnerability

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Tue Apr 20 20:44:44 UTC 2004

Perhaps we are all making too much of this...

It appears that Winstar feels that there is no need for MD5
authentication of peering sessions. One of our customers has just had
the following response from Winstar following a request to implement MD5
on their OC3 connection to Winstar. My first suggestion is to locate
another upstream provider (they have 3 already).

However, perhaps someone from Winstar would care to help us all
understand what the alternative solution is to securing the session via
MD5? I would *love* an alternative to the 5 days of work we've just gone
through.

Has anyone else run in to this with Winstar?

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.