Microsoft XP SP2 (was Re: Lazy network operators - NOT)

Patrick W.Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Apr 19 16:37:05 UTC 2004

On Apr 19, 2004, at 4:10 AM, Michael Painter wrote:

> First time user of the "net" in '87 when CompuServe announced it to
> its denizens.
> Thank [deity] for Micro$oft or we'd have to get a real job.

I hear this a lot and it is such BS.  Does anyone here HONESTLY believe
the "computer revolution" was caused by MS alone and would never have
happened without them?

Microsoft *might* have made it happen slightly faster than without
them, but a good argument can be made that MS actually set back the
software industry in many ways, from stifling competition & innovation
to the current mess with uneducated users and a homogeneous OS.

The truth is, we will not know if things are better or worse because of
MS.  But it is no _no way_ a slam dunk one way or the other.

--
TTFN,
patrick