why use IPv6, was: Lazy network operators

Carlos Friacas cfriacas at fccn.pt
Mon Apr 19 14:15:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> > not the only thing we have to do anyway, there is no demand and
> > therefore no ROI. It is urgent to wait.
>
> The nice (but sometimes frustrating) thing about IPv6 is that we can
> take (in internet time) forever to upgrade. At this point, the most
> important thing is to avoid building new stuff that will get in the way
> of IPv6 when the time comes that deploying v6 starts making sense.
> Unfortunately, few people understand the idea of taking 5 or 10 years
> to upgrade, they think this means doing nothing for 4,5 or 9,5 years
> and then frantically start throwing money at the problem. Oh well.

Yep. That is the main point for me!
The larger the transition phase, the smoother... starting as soon as
possible will cause less pain for everybody...

>From the cost point of view:

+ IPv6 should be seen as an evolution of current IP version 4. People that
understand IP version 4 (network admins) should also learn easily IP
version 6. Unfortunately IPv6 is often referred to as "a new technology",
but in the end... it is not. It is (only?) the plain old IP, with some
improvements...

+ On the "vendor front". IPv6 should be seen also as the natural evolution
on IP technology. If any vendor wished to keep their share in the IP
market, they should be able to support it, without any significant extra
cost for customers. However... i dont really think the hardware factor is
nowadays a serious problem for people currently building dual-stack
networks (yes, in some parts of the world, people are doing it!!!)

To conclude, nobody (i think) wishes to end IPv4 addresses anywhere in
the years to follow...

Regards,

./Carlos
--------------                             IPv6 -> http://www.ip6.fccn.pt
            Wide Area Network Workgroup, CMF8-RIPE, CF596-ARIN
FCCN - Fundacao para a Computacao Cientifica Nacional  http://www.fccn.pt

 "Internet is just routes (135072/470), naming (millions) and... people!"