Microsoft XP SP2 (was Re: Lazy network operators - NOT)

Gregh chows at ozemail.com.au
Mon Apr 19 13:22:17 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace at attglobal.net>
To: "Jeffrey Race" <jrace at attglobal.net>
Cc: <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 11:10 PM
Subject: Re: Microsoft XP SP2 (was Re: Lazy network operators - NOT)

> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:12:16 -0400, Chris Brenton wrote:
>
> > An uneducated
> >end user is not something you can fix with a service pack.
>

> A profound point, again highlighting the fact that there
> are no technical solutions to this problem.  (Though
> technical measures to enhance traceability are a big help.)
>
> So, the logical inference is training and licensing to
> get internet access.   When I was 16 in Connecticut many
> many years ago, we had to take a driver-training course
> (given by a policeman) to get a driver's license.
>
> I see no discussion about this approach, here or elsewhere.

I would love to know the average age of the list inhabitants.

It has been my observation that things which are new become better known
when a generation has grown up, completely, with it and is teaching the next
generation.

Until that occurs, you are going to get one heck of a larger lot of
uninformed users because they are not only young and clueless but every
other age and clueless. Worse, they are clueless in a lot of cases because
they are frightened by new technology. Eventually, it will become as common
as a car on the road and at that point, taking obvious steps wont even be a
topic for discussion any longer.

When that happens, arts majors wont be the only ones serving fries at
Maccas.

Greg.