Lazy network operators - NOT

Matt Hess mhess at solarius.org
Mon Apr 19 03:40:32 UTC 2004

<late-night-humor>
I was amused at this and decided to look real quick.. OpenBSD's pf can
block on OS fingerprints.. effectively doing exactly what you are
kidding about (at least I'd hope so.. well, maybe) even in the man page
example they put:

# Do not allow Windows 9x SMTP connections since they are typically
# a viral worm. Alternately we could limit these OSes to 1 connection each.
block in on $ext_if proto tcp from any os {"Windows 95", "Windows 98"} \
       to any port smtp

The OS fingerprint list they have is rather extensive..
</late-night-humor>

:)

{sniped}