why use IPv6, was: Lazy network operators

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Apr 19 00:29:33 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Michel Py wrote:

> - Tomorrow, IPv4 will get the small upgrades that are needed.

Like what? 128bit ip addresses so we don't run out 10 years from now?

Or ability to do QoS PtP over internet? Or security that is built in and
not part of additional layer?

Perhaps ipv6 has some dark spots that may have made upgrading not attractive
at this time, but stopping work on it and continuing ipv4 for next 100 years
is not an option in my view - we just need to put more effort on things
like multihoming support for ipv6 (and its not an unsolvable problem, the
cell phone companies are somehow able to deal with greatly increasing number
of phones and use of cell phones and roaming works quite well, for me
almost everywhere at least).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks