Lazy network operators - NOT

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sun Apr 18 14:55:04 UTC 2004

> I suggested using something like HINFO in the in-addr.arpa address
> zones for service providers to give similar information about IP
> addresses.  Yes, I know, using DNS for yet something else.  LDAP or
> RWHOIS or any other global mechanism could be used.

more uses for dns is actually a good thing in my opinion.  but this isn't
one of the times when hierarchical autonomy is the best data model -- we
already know that the average broadband provider is not even aware of their
role in the overall spam problem, and does not have the budget to employ
anyone who could (a) become aware of an HINFO-like registry, (b) know what
category their netblocks belong in, (c) have the technical ability to update
the RFC1101-like info at the apex of the appropriate zones, and (d) get
approval from management/legal/marketing/sales to put this data in.  so,
it's going to have to be an external entity like a RIR or DNSBLP who runs
a global "BBL" and externally categorizes these netblocks.

> If you don't want to accept connections from indeterminate or
> unauthenticated addresses, its your choice.  If you are a porn vendor
> and don't want K12 users to accidently stumble on to your web site,
> its your choice.  If you are a credit card vendor and don't want to
> accept credit card orders from prisons or jails, its your choice.

yes, that's how it works, it's just that right now there's no way to know,
and the way-to-know that you proposed requires broadband gross margin not
in evidence (or expected to appear).