Lazy network operators

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Sun Apr 18 02:48:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Michel Py wrote:

> Oh oh I see another one taking the path that leads to the dark side.

Well, let's be honest, name one good reason why you'd want IPv6
(given you have 4)? And, to be more on-topic, name one good reason
why a network operator would want it? Especially given that, apart
from the traditional bleeding edges (academic networks), no customers
are asking for it.

As Paul Vixie points out, without a multihoming solution beyond that
offered by 4, v6 networks will look just v4 - most of it will be on
non-global address space and NAT. Not really interesting..

[snip darth vader]

I know, what's worse is that I know it need not be so. (how's your
MHAP doing?  How's Iljitsch's geo-assigned addressing proposal?)

regards,
	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.