Lazy network operators

Rob Nelson ronelson at vt.edu
Sat Apr 17 15:26:13 UTC 2004

>Steve, you're authorized if you say you are and agree to accept
>responsibility.
>Most corporations would readily provide the addresses of their mail servers;
>anyone on DSL or cable connection could do the same.  But by changing the
>default behavior to block port 25 until requested, you could readily
>address the
>spam problem.   It would take some work on the part of operator community
>(hence the subject), and doesn't fit in the world wide commune perspective
>of networking, but it would make the Internet far more useful for everyone.

(I realize I'm a few days late on this, been travelling all week)

What about that small business with a remote site on a cable modem? All
they want is their local server to talk to the one upstream, and they'd
rather pay, say, Time Warner $50 a month on a dynamic instead of $200 for a
single static IP. Can't really blame them, can you? Is this
authorization-filter-scheme going to account for servers on dynamic IP?

Rob Nelson
ronelson at vt.edu