Abuse mail boxese (was Re: Lazy network operators)

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 23:05:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Steve Atkins wrote:

> > But AOL is target of a lot of virusses and spam runs, and i must say, they
> > do a pretty good job with managing al of that. Compliments to Carl and his
>
> Another reason is that they're not really an ISP, in the traditional
> sense. They have far more visibility of and direct control over what
> their users do, and the software their users run, than almost any
> other ISP. That makes many things possible for them that would be
> extremely difficult for a typical PPP provider.

Perhaps this is the future of end user access? If this level of control can give
good returns in the form of reduced overheads (and costs due to spam are only
going to increase as I see it) then perhaps more operators will adopt AOL style
software, or perhaps the OS will tend more in this direction for its user
software and become more restrictive?

Steve