Abuse mail boxese (was Re: Lazy network operators)

Raymond Dijkxhoorn raymond at prolocation.net
Mon Apr 12 21:49:36 UTC 2004

Hi!

> > Presumably the 6.8m figure is how many users click the 'spam' button in the AOL
> > mail client and not how many abuse complaints are sent in?
>
> Probably, yes.
>
> AOL isn't a huge source of abuse compared to most DSL/cable providers,
> so probably aren't seeing a huge number of incoming legitimate abuse
> complaints. Their users are a great source of complaints, via the
> "this is spam" button, though, many of which are legitimate and most
> of which are well targeted.

But AOL is target of a lot of virusses and spam runs, and i must say, they
do a pretty good job with managing al of that. Compliments to Carl and his
team. They bring _fast_ responses and replys on SPAL-L and do a lot of
work to downsize the impact of new stuff.

> High four figures / day is as high as we usually see at big broadband
> ISPs, though it can spike to five or ten times that occasionally.

Lets say, its not one of the smaller ones :)

Bye,
Raymond