Lazy network operators

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Mon Apr 12 17:20:01 UTC 2004

On 4/12/2004 11:31 AM, Robert Blayzor wrote:

> address are getting lost in the fray.  Having our techs/engineers go
> through the abuse@ box every day to play hide and seek is a bit of an
> agonizing task that nobody really wants, especially at the volume it is

On the other hand, making me spend half an hour or more of my workday
filling out forms for you just pushes the costs outside of your network
and into mine. That's pretty rude, don't you think?

Worse is that it's shortsighted. If everybody did this, then those
reversed costs will get back to your own operation at some point. One day
 you'll find *yourself* spending several hours a day filling out abuse
reports for other people's networks, whereas you used to be able to just
forward them via email. Congratulations on raising everybody's costs,
including your own.

> today.  If there was a standard that worked for this, we would
> certainly follow it.

Standardized scripts would also be abused.