Packet anonymity is the problem?

Yann Berthier yb at sainte-barbe.org
Sun Apr 11 09:51:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Ok, then explain to me how removing bugs from the code I run prevents
> me from being the victim of denial of service attacks.

   It's the other way around in fact: if others were to run (more)
   secure code, there would be far less boxen used as zombies to launch
   ddos attacks against your infrastructure, to propagate worms, and to
   be used as spam relays.

   While it can sound a bit theorical (to hope that the "others" will
   run secure code), as the vast majority of users run OSs from one
   particular (major) vendor, an amelioration of said family of OSs
   would certainly benefit to all. Just think about all the recent
   network havocs caused by worms propagating on one OS platform ...

      - yann