Lazy network operators

Avleen Vig lists-nanog at silverwraith.com
Sun Apr 11 04:29:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 11:45:20PM -0400, Jeff Workman wrote:
> I used to work for a very small (~10k dialup customer) ISP, and at the time
> our abuse policy was "if somebody complains, and you can find *something*
> in the logs, then lock the account."  Then I went to work for a so-called
> "Tier-1" and learned in short order that this policy does not scale,
> especially when abusive customers with DS3s are waving around fully loaded
> lawyers.

It does not scale, if you have people reading every single mail that
comes in, with now pre-parsing, sorting, etc.
It scales up to a point when you take steps to sort what is coming in,
take active steps to block abusing leaving your network, and implement
methods to detect it on your network before people complain.

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator