Lazy network operators

Jeff Workman jworkman at pimpworks.org
Sun Apr 11 03:45:20 UTC 2004

--On Saturday, April 10, 2004 8:30 PM -0700 Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net>
wrote:

> exodus for example had a hands off policy, dont do a single thing until
> law enforcement arrives with a search warrant.

While this might be a PITA for everybody, I don't see why everybody wants
to chastise NSPs for this practice, especially NSPs that are/were telcos.
Isn't this more or less the way telcos have dealt with abuse issues for
decades?

I used to work for a very small (~10k dialup customer) ISP, and at the time
our abuse policy was "if somebody complains, and you can find *something*
in the logs, then lock the account."  Then I went to work for a so-called
"Tier-1" and learned in short order that this policy does not scale,
especially when abusive customers with DS3s are waving around fully loaded
lawyers.

-J

--
Jeff Workman | jworkman at pimpworks.org | http://www.pimpworks.org