Anti-Spam Router -- opinions?

Hank Nussbacher hank at mail.iucc.ac.il
Sat Apr 10 19:24:56 UTC 2004

>Has anyone had any experience with this device? Turntide.com. Looks like a
>traffic-shaping device designed specifically for cutting down spammers
>throughput to your inbound SMTP servers. My main concern is, how does it
>make the distinction between legitimate mass-mailings (e.g.: mailing lists
>such as this one), and spam? Interesting approach to killing spam though I
>must say.

SMTP is only about 40% of the spam these days.  The rest is via HTTP and
DAV (I have seen an upsurge of Hotmail DAV spam since March 18) as per
http://www.unicom.com/chrome/a/000267.html) so you would need a solution
that handles all formats.

I would like to draw your attention to a company called Pineapp
(www.pineapp.com) that has a product called Antiflood.  It handles SMTP and
HTTP.  For HTTP it analyzes the headers and doesn't allow more than n
number of recepients.  It allows the admin to set the maximum posts per
time frame, has URL blocking time, maximum outgoing recipients, safe URLs
not to be time-blocked, etc.  It is not really a router but rather an
inline transparent proxy box.  It is geared for Cybercafes where much spam
still originates.

-Hank
Note: I do not work for Pineapp.