worm information

Jeff Workman jworkman at pimpworks.org
Sat Apr 10 17:53:15 UTC 2004

--On Saturday, April 10, 2004 8:35 AM -0700 "Christopher J. Wolff"
<chris at bblabs.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Over the last few days I've seen a number of hosts attempt to initiate TCP
> connections to the following ports in sequence.
>
> 80
> 139
> 445
> 6129
> 3127
> 1025
> 135
> 2745
> ...repeat.

There's a number of viruses/worms in the wild that are programmed to
exploit various M$ vulnerabilities:

80  - IIS WebDAV (MS03-007)and any number of other IIS vulnerabilities
135 - DCOM RPC (MS03-026)
445 - RPC locator (MS03-001) and Workstation service (MS03-049)
139 - Unpassworded NetBIOS shares

I'm not sure about the other ports, I *think* 1025 has something to do with
MS RPC as well, but don't quote me on that.

What you are probably seeing, at least in the cases involving the ports I
listed above, is one of the many W32.Gaobot (Symantec)[1] variants.

-J

[1]
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.gaobot.um.htm
--