OT: Determining toll free # ownership

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Apr 7 19:22:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Jon R. Kibler wrote:
> fax telephone number. We have captured several dozen faxes sent through
> that number over the past few days, and they all have 'enter your number
> here to delete' toll free numbers on them and we would like to find out
> the telco that owns those blocks of 800# so we can complain.

Why call the telco?  The Telco is not law enforcement.  The Telco will
probably just tell you to file a police report, and use the Call Trace
feature on your phone line.  When, and only when, the police request the
information for the Telco will the telco provide the results of the Call
Trace to the police.  It is then up to the legal system to take action.