Mailserver requirements

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Apr 5 22:55:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:53:15PM +0200, Arnold Nipper wrote:
> >>of course this server does have a reverse mapping. But this reverse
> >>mapped doamin does not have an MX record.
> >
> > Does it have an A RR?
>
> It also does have an A RR. And the forward mapping does also match the
> IP address.

OK, so the check is even broken in what it probably tries to verify...
that the reverse-domain of the sender IP would (possibly) be able to
receive mail (bounces).

> > Anyway... it's a heuristic which definately does give false positives.
> > The only requirement is that IF a domain/host accepts mail there MUST be
> > a postmaster@ address.
>
> In this case the host *sends* mail ...

Sure. I was discussing the requirements for domains regarding email.

In this specific case, "domain" being the domain of the PTR of the
sending MTA host.

Regards,
Daniel