Anti-Spam Router -- opinions?

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Mon Apr 5 16:49:21 UTC 2004

On Apr 5, 2004, at 10:49 AM, Andy Johnson wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with this device? Turntide.com. Looks
> like a
> traffic-shaping device designed specifically for cutting down spammers
> throughput to your inbound SMTP servers. My main concern is, how does
> it
> make the distinction between legitimate mass-mailings (e.g.: mailing
> lists
> such as this one), and spam? Interesting approach to killing spam
> though I
> must say.

You might want to consider an inexpensive mail relay running OpenBSD's
spamd (not to be confused with SpamAssassin's spamd) in conjunction
with PF.  Spamd is really nice for hurting spammers and/or relays where
it can... in their spool.  Granted, it's based on address lists like
spamhaus or spews, but it's better than content filtering in one very
important way... bandwidth savings.  With content filtering, the
payload is already at your doorstep.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=spamd
http://www.benzedrine.cx/relaydb.html

--