Mail with no purpose?

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Apr 1 17:15:10 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Richard Cox wrote:

> Some times the request goes to the website, sometimes a DNS request to
> nameservers is sufficient to cause the account to be tagged as active.

I don't quite understand how that would work. DNS Request does not contain
name of who the email is addressed to unless instead of using something like
"http://spammersserver.com/[email protected]"
they rewrite it into "http://emailidstring.spammerserver.com"
and use some custom dns server that can log all such requests.

But I really dont see how this would be any different then just logging
with cgi, it'll result in positive logging for exactly same set of people.

For example as I'm using PINE from unix shell, all those html images
are not referenced in any way, nor are there requests set for them in dns.
Where as WYSIWYG html email client (no matter if its web-based or outlook
or mozilla) will reference and display all images contained in email

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net