Spam with no purpose?

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Thu Apr 1 03:44:57 UTC 2004

> Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:18:03 -0500
> From: Deepak Jain <deepak at ai.net>
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Spam with no purpose?
>

> Can someone explain to me (publicly or privately) why someone would
send
> spam with no product to sell, no position to pitch, nothing except
text
> designed to get by a spam filter -- without even HTML to KNOW it got
by
> a spam filter..

It is a probe to verify the address.  since it did not bounce, the
address is verified.

Some spam filters filter out empty messages.  The words avoid this.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> For example:
>
> From: Joe Legitimate <jlegit at university.edu>
> To: Deepak Jain <deepak at ai.net>
> Subject: [dictionary word]
>
> [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary
word]
> [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary
word]
> [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary
word]
> [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary
word]
> [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary
word]

> --- EOM ---
>
> I don't understand why one would waste the time, if its a test, why
> would it get out in public?
>
> I would like to think I am being naive, but I just don't see the
upside
> unless it were particularly targeted at me or my mailserver to
determine
> our response or response time, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> DJ

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin