Spam with no purpose?

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Thu Apr 1 03:18:03 UTC 2004

Can someone explain to me (publicly or privately) why someone would send
spam with no product to sell, no position to pitch, nothing except text
designed to get by a spam filter -- without even HTML to KNOW it got by
a spam filter..

For example:

[dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word]
[dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word]
[dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word]
[dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word]
[dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word] [dictionary word]

I don't understand why one would waste the time, if its a test, why
would it get out in public?

I would like to think I am being naive, but I just don't see the upside
unless it were particularly targeted at me or my mailserver to determine
our response or response time, etc.

Thanks in advance,

DJ