ISPs blocking port 53? (was Re: Annoying dynamic DNS updates)

Alan Spicer a_spicer at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 29 08:28:08 UTC 2003

Also you have a new generation of ISPs (just like when "crackers" grow up
and stop there is a new generation to replace them). A lot of ISPs just came
off of having everything outsourced (e.g. excite at home) a little over 1.5 to
2 years ago. A lot of them took the entire ISP management in-house, but
without any formal or over-time (experience) training. This just means that
they came off of a much larger management organization (I'm sure that has
its over loaded problems as well, but not as big as 90% less clue++ staff)
to only a couple or a few individuals. I know this doesn't scale because I
have been there and watched it happen. If someone isn't there with ISP
experience probably most of the Abuse issues (especially via email) would
continue to be ignored. Noone wants to handle that stuff. But someone(s)
must handle that stuff.

---
Alan Spicer (a_spicer at bellsouth.net)
Systems and Network Administration,