[OT] question on NANOG meetings

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Sat Sep 27 13:06:22 UTC 2003

Henry Linneweh wrote:

> are there any better tools that will accmoplish the same thing for
> win2k/xp users

If I would have to name one tool which would be more technically sound
than RealMedia
or WindowsMedia, I would have pick Cisco´s IP/TV. With all it´s issues,
at least
the it behaves well in varying network conditions, which cannot be said
from
either WM or RM.

However, both RM and WM behave well in a robust, close-to-zero packet loss
environment when the horribly broken RM´s retransmission algorithm nor
the highly inefficient fragment-spitting of WM do not kill your media
experience.

Unfortunately in this, as in so many other cases, technical competency
has nothing
to do with product success.

Pete