Any way to P-T-P Distribute the RBL lists?

JC Dill nanog at vo.cnchost.com
Fri Sep 26 03:03:09 UTC 2003

At 07:08 AM 9/25/2003, Rich Braun wrote:
>  But generating the
>blocklist requires real-time reporting back to a central server.  Even if the
>server is decentralized, it will still require a relatively small handful of
>accessable IP addresses.

I seem to recall a distributed server network, something called USENET,
uses NNTP for sharing data with other servers in the network...  Last I
heard there were over 30,000 such servers netwide/worldwide, all sharing
data with one or more neighbors, automagically sharing data that is input
into one system to all systems in a relatively and reasonably short amount
of time.

I propose that a private spamrbl nntp server system be established.  Only
allow feeds from those you know, use PGP authentication for all feeds and
all submissions.  If there is a personally verifiable web of trust built
around personally verified signed PGP keys, it should prevent spammers from
infiltrating the system.  Perhaps the only way you can get approved/added
to the network is to be approved by your upstream or a peer, and so they
are held accountable for letting you into the system.

This system could house a number BLs, each as a "newsgroup", allowing each
network to then utilize the BLs that they want to implement in their
network at any given time.  Some of the newsgroups could be open, anyone
can add a listing, others would be moderated (e.g. Monkeys or Spamhaus) and
only the moderator(s) could add or remove listings.

It seems too easy.  I must be overlooking something really stupid and
obvious about why this won't work.

jc