AOL Proxy Servers not connecting via https

mike harrison meuon at highertech.net
Thu Sep 25 19:00:27 UTC 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Brian Bruns wrote:
> Last time I checked, SSL connections do not get proxied through the AOL
> caching servers.
> They go directly from the client.
> 172.151.135.3 is not an AOL proxy server, it is an end user IP address that
> a AOL user gets when they dial in.
> cache-rf03.proxy.aol.com is an AOL proxy.

Thanks, It seems when the connection swaps from a proxy/cache connection,
that the AOL browser gets redirected to another AOL address first,
and then goes out. There is a noticable delay (a second or two)
from when the request gets sent, to when we see it on our network..
like an overloaded cache/proxy. Perhaps AOL is using some kind of
"transparent" proxy.. or maybe it's the Dept of Homeland Security's
mystery sniffer (just speculating in wild paranoid mode).
Or maybe it's something on our network mangling packets..
But calls to AOL get me no-where..