what to do about joe-jobs?

Kee Hinckley nazgul at somewhere.com
Wed Sep 24 20:22:03 UTC 2003

At 2:07 PM -0500 9/24/03, Justin Shore wrote:
>open proxy.  You're screwed if that's the case.  However since you have a
>complete copy of the spam you can still follow the money trail.  Spammers
>have to get their money somehow.  The actual spam will give you many
>places to start.  Of course once you have that you still have to convince

With the possible exception of the new California law, I've yet to
see any case in which the benefit from nailing a spammer (in terms of
damages, or even reduced attacks) comes even close to covering the
amount of time it took to find and pursue them.  I doubt even the big
ISPs recover their cost--their goal seems to be deterrence.  However
I'd be happy to donate somewhere.com's bogus inbound traffic (we
bounced ten million messages last year, definitely looking at more
than twenty million this year) to the cause.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.