"Class A Data Center"

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Wed Sep 24 18:20:25 UTC 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 03:58:31PM -0400, bobgerman at irides.com said:

> This is the assumption I have come to as well.  Are there any
> established standards for enterprise datacenters at all, aside from the
> obvious, N+1 redundant everything, diverse paths, etc.?

I don't know if it qualifies as an "established standard", but ISTR that
Steve Bellovin had a paper about various levels of reliability in data
centers ... [searches] argh. I can't find it yet. Perhaps Mr. Bellovin can
refresh my memory ... the paper I'm recalling had specifications for 5 or so
different levels of reliability and redundancy in data centers (able to
withstand criminal attack, armed attack, conventional explosives, nuclear
explosion, acts of God, etc.) and was interesting reading. The focus, as I
recall, was on the level of engineering required to reach various levels of
uptime (99.9, 99.99, 99.999, etc.).

This ringing a bell for anyone else?
--
Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net
      illum oportet crescere me autem minui