Another DNS blacklist is taken down

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Sep 24 16:44:16 UTC 2003

In a message written on Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:28:39AM -0500, Justin Shore wrote:
> So, my question for NANOG is how does one go about attracting the
> attention of law enforcement when your network is under attack?  How does
> the target of such an attack get a large network provider who's customers
> are part of the attack to pay attention?  Is media attention the only way
> to pressure a response from either group?  These DDoS attacks have
> received some attention in mainstream media:

People will pay attention as soon as there is money in black lists.
ISP's are businesses.  If losing the customer is cheaper than helping
them far too many will choose to lose the customer.  Many black
lists don't pay the ISP at all, indeed they are offered as free
services for the good of the community.  As a result they get the
response that any freeloader would, none.

For better or for worse you get to vote with your dollars, which
really means no dollars, no vote, no support.